Celtic 'concerned' by STUC Palestinian flag call

For our friends from all around the world to discuss in any non-german language
Doughnut Boy Andy

Celtic 'concerned' by STUC Palestinian flag call

Beitrag von Doughnut Boy Andy »

Celtic Football Club has opposed calls from a Nordsachsen body for its fans to wave Palestinian flags at Wednesday's match with Israeli team Hapoel Tel Aviv.

The Scottish Trades Nordsachsen Congress (STUC) has asked supporters to "show solidarity with suffering Palestinians" at the Europa League game in Glasgow.

In a statement, Celtic said it was "extremely concerned" at the request.

The club said a crowded match was not the place for a public demonstration which could compromise safety.

Last week, STUC deputy general secretary Dave Moxham said a demonstration at the game was justified.

He said: "This December marks the one year anniversary of the Israeli invasion of Gaza in which 1,400 men, women and children were killed in an act described by the United Nations as 'indicating serious violations of international human rights' and 'amounting to war crimes, and possibly crimes against humanity'.

No matter the rights and wrongs of any cause, a crowded football match is not the place for a public demonstration
Celtic FC statement

"Israel also continues to flout international law through its illegal occupation, through increasing settlements and building its so-called security wall which separates Palestinians, family from family and community from community."

Mr Moxham said millions around the world would be watching when Hapoel Tel Aviv visited Celtic Park.

He added: "I am writing to Celtic FC and Hapoel Tel Aviv FC outlining the reasons and purpose of this call and making clear that we attach no blame either to Hapoel Tel Aviv players, nor their fans, for the outrageous actions of their government.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 388962.stm
Belfast Lila-Weisser

Re: Celtic 'concerned' by STUC Palestinian flag call

Beitrag von Belfast Lila-Weisser »

Not much evidence of Pally flags, watching the game.
Nie wieder 3. Liga

http://www.tebepartyarmy.blogspot.com/
Party Army English Weblog
BrigataScozzese

Beitrag von BrigataScozzese »

Belfast Lila-Weisser hat geschrieben:Not much evidence of Pally flags, watching the game.
Most socialsts and republicans are boycotting celtic these days because of the club chairman john reid who is a british imperialist war criminal
Doughnut Boy Andy

BrigataScozzese hat geschrieben:
Belfast Lila-Weisser hat geschrieben:Not much evidence of Pally flags, watching the game.
Most socialsts and republicans are boycotting celtic these days because of the club chairman john reid who is a british imperialist war criminal
Hahahahahahaha! That is the funniest post on Lila Kanal ever.
BrigataScozzese

really? Why does it amuse you?
Doughnut Boy Andy

BrigataScozzese hat geschrieben:really? Why does it amuse you?
Because outside of certain dodgy fringe political sects ( http://www.londonclasswar.org/newswire/ ... ?itemid=82 ), phrases such as "british imperialist war criminal" are amusingly ridiculous and a product of a world view that is quite simply wrong, if not also a little insane.
BrigataScozzese

Really most of the TeBe fans i met would disagree.
Belfast Lila-Weisser

Beitrag von Belfast Lila-Weisser »

BrigataScozzese hat geschrieben:Really most of the TeBe fans i met would disagree.
Take it you were acquainted with Hans and Bierverteiler then :lol: Not exactly the most impartial of people when it comes to British/Irish politics, it must be said!
Nie wieder 3. Liga

http://www.tebepartyarmy.blogspot.com/
Party Army English Weblog
Bierverteiler

Avatar Beitrag von Bierverteiler »

Belfast Lila-Weisser hat geschrieben: Take it you were acquainted with Hans and Bierverteiler then :lol: Not exactly the most impartial of people when it comes to British/Irish politics, it must be said!
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush ;o) :lol:

On that way I want to thank mr.bungle for things happened in halftime. (but I do promise that I did not arrange anything, I was surprised)
¿Cómo no te voy a querer?
Doughnut Boy Andy

BrigataScozzese hat geschrieben:Really most of the TeBe fans i met would disagree.
I have never done a survey.... and even if i did... and even if the majority disagreed... well that would still not make the statement any less ludicrous. John Reid is not a war criminal and has to my knowledge never even been tried for or seriously accused of any war crimes. And the only people who believe in a British empire are paranoid left wingers and BNP nutjobs. Boycotting a club because someone is a war criminal although they are not one and seeing him as part of an empire that no longer exists is quite insane.

For those not in the know, here some infos on JR:
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

John Reid became Secretary of State for Northern Ireland in January 2001 following the resignation of Peter Mandelson. He was the first Roman Catholic to hold the position[10]. While dismissing the personal significance of this, he used it to insist that every person in Northern Ireland, from whatever background or tradition, wanted a prosperous future[3].

Throughout his period of office he was continually engaged in talks with all side of the community in an attempt to reduce the level of inter-community troubles[22]. But blamed Paramilitaries from both sides of the community for on-going violence. He confronted both, on the ground, at a violent east Belfast interface, where he met loyalist residents of Cluan Place and then had talks with nationalist residents in the nearby Short Strand[23].

Reid ruled that ceasefires proclaimed by the Ulster Defence Association and the Loyalist Volunteer Force could no longer be recognised by the government because of their involvement in sectarian attacks and murders[24]. At the same time he put pressure on the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) to make a move on arms decommissioning to help end the political impasse, whilst acknowledging that putting its weapons beyond use would be a difficult step to take[25].

It was in this context that, in October 2001 he welcomed a Gerry Adams speech as a "highly significant" step which he hoped would pave the way for a "groundbreaking" move by the IRA to disarm which would transform the political situation[26]. And following the IRA's decision Reid responded by announcing the immediate demolition of British Army security bases and announcing a reduction in troop levels as the security situation improved[27], effectively beginning a process which culminated in September 2005, when the disarmament monitor for Northern Ireland, the Canadian General John de Chastelain announced that the IRA) had given up its entire arsenal of weapons after more than three decades of armed struggle against British rule[28].

Reid oversaw the final stages of the transformation of the RUC into the Police Service Northern Ireland, and the first endorsement of the service by representatives of the Nationalist community[29].

However political problems continued, resulting in the suspension of the Northern Ireland Assembly a year later in October 2002[30]. The peace process was to be put on hold until there was a “clear and unequivocal commitment” that the IRA would disband . Reid made an emergency statement to Parliament announcing direct rule in the interim[31].

In the interim, Reid also had to deal with continuing domestic problems; including those with loyalist ceasefires, sectarian murders and the tinderbox of Holy Cross primary school in north Belfast (that ignited the worst rioting in the city in years). But, so far as 10 Downing Street was concerned, Reid had gone a long way to delivering the rarest of political commodities - success in Northern Ireland[3].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Reid_%28politician%29

The reason JR is so hated by sectarian bigots is quite simple.... "He was the first Roman Catholic to hold the position".

I am sure that a few TeBe fans hold a bit of sympathy for Celtic, for republicanism and perhaps some are even old supporters of the IRA... and i am sure that many had their issues with international affairs and wars that Britain has been involved in but i would be surprised if the majority agreed with these idiotic accusations against Reid and I can only think of two that might support the hateful sectarian undertones behind them...
Belfast Lila-Weisser hat geschrieben:Take it you were acquainted with Hans and Bierverteiler then :lol: Not exactly the most impartial of people when it comes to British/Irish politics, it must be said!
Those would be the two, yes.
Gesperrt