1st female Israeli Arab sportscastermin interview

For our friends from all around the world to discuss in any non-german language
Antworten
Doughnut Boy Andy

1st female Israeli Arab sportscastermin interview

Beitrag von Doughnut Boy Andy »

1st female Israeli Arab sportscaster: Generalizations drive me mad

Nadine Hamed of Nazareth says there is not enough openness between Jewish, Arab sectors. According to her, 'The world is evolving, and it's shame that some people remain in a bubble.' On Beitar Jerusalem: I'll gladly attend the team's games; there is racism everywhere'

Eran Lahav
Published: 12.09.09, 07:45 / Israel Culture

Nadine Hamed was two-years-old when her parents divorced. Her mother married at an early age, but after separating from her husband she began her academic studies and joined the workforce. Today, Umayma Hamed is a successful attorney. Refusing to bow down to local prejudices, her daughter also decided to choose her own path and became Israel's first female Arab sportscaster.

As a Muslim student at the film department of a school for Franciscan nuns, Nadine, 21, made a 10-minute movie about her personal journey.

The project, which was part of Nadine's matriculation exam, received a perfect score. Her professor suggested that she submit it to the Jerusalem Film Festival, where it was awarded top honors in the short documentary category.

Historic Game
National Palestinian women's soccer team takes field / Ronny Shaked
Palestinian Authority's team marks first game in West Bank by taking on Jordan's national team. 'We want to use game to send message of life, love and peace,' says Palestinian team captain
Full Story

After earning her bachelor's degree in film and communications from The Max Stern Academic College of Emek Yezreel, Nadine, who was born in Nazareth, filled a number of positions in Israeli television until she decided to focus on sports. Law school, her next goal, will have to wait for the time being.

"I heard of the auditions (for the sportscaster position) and said to myself, 'I can be the first Arab woman in (Israeli) sports television'. It's part of my character – to pursue things that are out of the ordinary," she told Yedioth Ahronoth.

Nadine got the job after beating out 10 other female candidates, and now appears weekly on the Arab show "Sports at Five", which covers sports events in Israel, the Palestinian Authority and the Arab world in general.

"I try to emulate Oprah Winfrey," Nadine said, "I really like her charisma." ...
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 21,00.html
Nadine said she would have no problem covering a soccer game held at Jerusalem's "Teddy Stadium", the home of Beitar Jerusalem, a team affiliated with Israel's Right. Some of Beitar's supporters are vehemently opposed to the signing of an Arab player.

"I'll gladly attend a Beitar game. There will always be people who are racist. A small portion of the crowd causes the ruckus, but the media chooses to emphasize it," she said.
Good show!
Antworten