Ex-Lion Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

For our friends from all around the world to discuss in any non-german language
Antworten
Doughnut Boy Andy

Ex-Lion Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

Beitrag von Doughnut Boy Andy »

Former Wales and Lions captain Gareth Thomas has broken one of the major taboos that surround sport by revealing he is gay.

The 35-year-old joins stars like basketball's John Amaechi and hurling's Donal Og Cusack who have come out.

"Just because you are gay, it doesn't mean you fancy every man who walks the planet," Thomas told the Daily Mail.

"I don't want to be known as a gay rugby player. I am a rugby player first and foremost. I am a man."

Cardiff Blues utility back Thomas said he had been through "all sorts of emotions" over the issue, since first knowing he was gay in his late teens.

He revealed that he was "anxious about people's reactions" to him being gay and that he felt he could not have come out earlier in his rugby career.

"It is the toughest, most macho of male sports, and with that comes an image," Thomas said.

"In many ways, it is barbaric, and I could never have come out without first establishing myself and earning respect as a player.

'Time is right'

"Rugby was my passion, my whole life, and I wasn't prepared to risk losing everything I loved."

Thomas went on to win 100 caps for Wales and three for the Lions, and has played for Bridgend and Cardiff and spent three years in France with Toulouse, before returning to south Wales in 2007.

He feels attitudes have changed and the time is right for sport to start accepting openly gay people in the same way other professions have in recent years.

"I just happen to be gay," he added. "It's irrelevant.

"What I choose to do when I close the door at home has nothing to do with what I have achieved in rugby.

"It's pretty tough for me being the only international rugby player prepared to break the taboo.

"Statistically I can't be the only one, but I'm not aware of any other gay player still in the game.

"I'd love for it, in 10 years' time, not to even be an issue in sport, and for people to say: 'So what?'"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 421956.stm
Teitur

Re: Ex-Lion Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

Beitrag von Teitur »

Cheers, Alfie.
Love the fact he didn't wait til his career was entirely over.
Doughnut Boy Andy

Although rugby is not as popular in Germany, I am sure you can all imagine how groundbreaking this is on the islands. Gareth Thomas is one of the greatest players and widely respected by many people who probably would not be willing to shake hands with a "poof" or a "queer" in their normal life. Many rugby fans consider football to be gay and make fun of football fans with homophobic insults.

The media has been extremely supportive so far and he has been given some good interviews and has come across as in a very positive way.... and the whole bit about him coming off after playing badly due to the split with his wife and talking to his coach with some beers about his marriage and sexuality is also a sign of hope that others in the rugby world are going to be supportive too. As he says, he has a lot of good friends in rugby... still has a lot of good friends.

In a sense this is perhaps the "model" coming out. Gareth is happy with his decision to make his sexuality public, has managed the press well, has received support from others in the game, and has not been ostracised.

Well done Gareth, well done UK and well done rugby. A start has been made... football is playing catch up now.

BTW - There is a Facebook group "We Support Gareth Thomas!" for anyone interested.
Doughnut Boy Andy

P.S. Childline is a free and anonymous telephone line for children facing danger, worry or problems. There they get free advice and help no matter what their problems or worries are.
mr. bungle

Presumably Gareth has just eaten too much chicken... So fuckin weird - if there was an Christoph Daum award existing, Morales would be first choice for it... :lol:
Antworten